If you enjoy recipes like this, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App, it’s available for both Android and iPhone and has free and paid versions. The app is loaded with thousands of allergy-friendly & vegan recipes/cooking tips, has hundreds of search filters and features like bookmarking, meal plans and more! The app shows you how having diet/health/food preferences can be full of delicious abundance rather than restrictions!
When it comes to burgers, it’s all about the spice. Made from yellow pumpkin, earthy chickpeas and a mixture of warming spices, these burgers are the perfect combo for your barbeque, a game night dinner, or just for that cozy get-together with your friends. Try them with different toppings like greens, pickles, tomatoes, and your favorite sauce.
Curried Pumpkin and Chickpea Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup grated yellow pumpkin
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt-free curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, plus 3 tablespoons water per egg)
- 4 tablespoons brown rice flour
- Preheat the oven to 390°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and grate the pumpkin. Transfer to a fine-mesh strainer and press out as much excess liquid as possible. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a food processor fitted with an “S”-blade, blend the rinsed chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic cloves, and all the spices until an even paste comes out.
- In a large bowl mix the grated pumpkin with the chickpea mixture, flax eggs, and brown rice flour. Stir well to combine. Add a bit more flour if the batter comes out too wet.
- Form the batter into 9 even-sized balls and flatten until about 3/4-inch thick patties.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes and remove from the oven.
EXPLORE MORE RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS: